Standard Chartered Manhattan Platinum Card Is Anything But Standard
Indian shoppers have never felt so empowered before: income is on the rise and the booming economy is attracting the best names in fashion, food, consumables and other products to the country. Because of this and because of increasing purchasing power, Indians are using plastic money more than ever. No wonder then, all top credit card providers have or are trying to have a presence in India.
Standard Chartered has an incredible card here which offers a whopping 5% cash back on so many different common purchases…grocery, dining, travel. It’s effectively giving you a 5% discount on the things you purchase most. If that’s not reason enough to take a look, I don’t know what is!
This particular card is aimed more at retail shoppers, those who swipe their card at malls, hotels and restaurants. But really, even if you are an average shopper, who can say no to the generous 5% cash back? It’s simply irresponsible to NOT shop with it! Let’s get into the details for actually getting one, eligibility, fees, etc.
SC Manhattan Platinum Card
- 5x rewards on hotels, dining, travel
- 5% cash back at Reliance Fresh,
- Big Bazaar, and Food Bazaar.
Chances of Approval:
Standard Chartered Bank follows the same eligibility criteria for all its credit cards to make its cards more accessible to a wider range of consumers. The criteria include:
- You have to be in the age range of 21 to 65 years
- You need to have stable monthly income (You’d need to show a copy of the salary slip of the last month while applying)
- You should be living in a city where the banks has a presence
- You need to pass all necessary checks and provide documents
Documents to be submitted:
- A voter ID card, passport, PAN card, government ID or any other identity proof
- Phone bill, rental agreement, bank statement or any other legal document that has your current residential address
- Your latest salary slip for financial documentation. You can submit business continuity proof and the latest IT returns if you are self-employed
Here is a brief look at some of the features of the card, described by the bank:
- Cash back and rewards when you swipe your credit card
- A 5 percent cash back when you shop at department store or supermarket
- Earn five times rewards when you shop with your credit card at other locations
Details and other benefits
As you can see from above, the cash back and rewards are mostly focused on shopping done outside departmental stores and supermarkets. While these locations do come with a 5 percent cash back, you get more rewards at retail destinations with this card.
Here are some of its details and benefits:
- A 5 percent cash back on swiping your credit card at More, Food Bazaar, Big Bazaar and Reliance Fresh department stores
- Get 5 times more rewards when you use your credit card at hotels, fuel stations, airline ticket reservation and restaurants and dining spots
- The card bills can be paid through BillDesk, VISA Money Transfer, ECS, net banking or NEFT/IBFT
- Save INR 8,750 by applying for the card with Standard Chartered Bank’s 360 Rewards programme
- Use your reward points to combine them for various offers
Charges and fees
Like any other card, the Manhattan Platinum card also comes with a number of charges and other terms and conditions that you should be aware of:
- You can only earn a maximum cash back of INR 150 per transaction and INR 500 per month
- You need to spend at least INR 1,000 per transaction to get the cashback
- The joining fee is INR 499, but it could be waived off if you spend INR 30,000 in the first year
- The renewal fee is INR 999 from the second year onwards, but it can be waived off if you spend INR 60,000 or more per year
- The multiple card fee is INR 999
Verdict: A great card for those in a position to use it to it’s maximum benefit. Most people would likely prefer the standard Platinum from SC, but this card fills it’s niche quite well.
- Platinum Edge Card from HDFC Shines For Travelers ( 2017 REVIEW ) - 19/07/2017
- Amex Pays You Cash Back With its Payback Credit Card ( REVIEW ) - 12/07/2017
- Ever Wonder How Often Should You Check Your CIBIL Score? - 10/07/2017
- Prestigious Perks Through The HDFC Business Regalia Card⎢Review - 25/06/2017
- India Loves The American Express Membership Rewards Card ⎢Review - 30/05/2017