Standard Chartered Titanium Is Truly A Super Value
Standard Chartered Bank is the largest international bank in India, with almost 100 branches across the country. It is one of the more successful International banks in India and has a considerable presence in the credit card niche, which is expanding at an impressive rate.
As per Reserve Bank of India, in October, 2014, there were over two crores credit card users in the country. The surge in card users has been mainly due to the popularity of e-commerce and the expansion of banking in the rural areas. As both driving factors continue to thrive, India’s credit card user base is set to continue increasing, which is why Standard Chartered offers a credit card suitable for the average Indian.
Indians want value for money, and Standard Chartered Bank’s Super Value Titanium credit card has value written right on the card. It is a card meant for those looking for a simple and hassle-free experience with their first credit card. But how well does it match up to the expectations?
Let’s take a look.
Standard Chartered has set up a list of general eligibility criteria for all its credit cards, most of which are designed to make its cards accessible to more people nationwide.
- The applicant should be 21 to 65 years of age and have a stable monthly income
- The applicant must be from a city or other location where the bank has a presence
- The applicant has to complete all necessary checks and provide all required documents
- Identity proof: government ID, PAN card, passport, voter ID card, etc.
- Address proof: any document with your current residential address, like your passport, phone bill, utility bill, rental agreement, or bank statement
- Financial documentation: salary slip for employed professionals and business continuity proof and latest IT returns for the self-employed
Here is a look at some of the best features in Standard Chartered Bank’s Super Value Titanium Card:
- Earn 5 percent cash back on fuel purchased using the card at any applicable petrol pump in India
- Get 5 percent cash back on payments made to telecom operators and service providers using the card
- Get one reward point for every INR 100 spent on any other category
Details and other benefits
If you notice the above features, you’ll figure out that the Super Value Titanium Card is mostly focused on cash back rewards to bring money back to your wallet and less on rewards on purchases. Here are some of the benefits you get:
- A 2.5 percent surcharge reversal and 2.5 percent cash back on the transaction amount spent on fuel at any petrol pump in India, apart from the 5 percent cash back on fuel
- The 5 percent cashback on telecom bills apply to every Indian service provider, including Airtel, Vodafone, Reliance, BSNL, MTNL and Tata Indicom
- A 5 percent cash back offer on all utility bills that you pay with the credit card
- Earn 1,000 reward points if you swipe your credit card five times in the first 60 days
- Get another 500 reward points in your account by registering for online banking
Charges and fees
The cash back awards and other incentives sound great, but you have to look out at the charges and fees. Here are some of the charges you will have to pay and conditions on the cash back benefits:
- An INR 499 joining fee will be applied, although the first year’s joining fee will be waived off if you spend INR 30,000 in the year
- A INR 750 fee will be applied for renewing the card for two years, although this fee can be waived off from the second year if you spend INR 60,000 or more in one year
- The minimum transaction amount for which you are eligible for cash back is INR 750
- The maximum cash back offered per transaction is INR 100, and maximum cash back per month is INR 500
Bottom Line: A great card for many spenders, and certainly one of the best in class cards on the market.